Carbon Brief is a UK-based website, which aims to help improve the understanding of climate change, both in terms of the science and the policy response. It is a private, not-for-profit company limited by guarantee (Company No. 07222041), and the registered address is 40 Bermondsey St. London, SE1 3UD. Carbon Brief is a “Data Controller” (registered with the Information Commissioner’s Office) and a “Data Processor” of the personal data that you provide to us.
We respect all personal data that we hold, and we will ensure it is stored safely and processed fairly and lawfully in accordance with the requirements of the Data Protection Act (1998) and the General Data Protection Regulation (from May 2018).
Why do we collect information about you?
We collect data to allow us to carry out the organisation’s aim of helping to improve the understanding of climate change.
What information we collect
We collect information you give to us via various forms on our website. For the most part, we will only ask for your name and email address.
Carbon Brief will also collect information, such as your Internet Protocol (IP) address for monitoring and improving the effectiveness of our website and its security.
How your information is used
We will not sell your information to anyone else and will only share your details with trusted service providers such as Mailchimp in order to carry out the organisation’s aims.
We use your data to:
- Send you our Daily and/or Weekly Briefing
- Invite you to events we organise that we think may be of interest
Who has access to your data
Carbon Brief will never sell your data to any other organisation. Only authorised staff at Carbon Brief can view your personal details, and we take reasonable precautions to keep them secure. In other words, only those who need to access your data to perform their job can do so. All our staff are trained to understand data protection and what they need to do to keep your data secure.
How you can access, correct or delete your data
You can contact us at any time by email, letter or telephone to change or update your details. At your request, we will give you all details of personal information held about you by Carbon Brief, once your identity has been satisfactorily verified. Incorrect information will be deleted or amended promptly. We will give you confirmation of corrections and deletions. We can only accept these requests if sent by email or letter, after which we will take further steps to confirm your identity before releasing data. We will respond to these requests within 20 working days, unless there are exceptional circumstances, and even then we will let you know what is happening with your request.
How you can opt out of receiving messages from Carbon Brief
You can unsubscribe from receiving emails from us at any time, using the unsubscribe function at the bottom of each email.
How you can find out more about your rights or make a complaint
We will ensure that you can exercise your rights in relation to personal data that we hold:
- You have the right to request access to the personal data we hold on you by making a subject access request in accordance with the GDPR. We may charge a reasonable fee if a request is manifestly unfounded or excessive (see Contact Details below)
- You have the right to have your personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete (see Contact Details below)
- You have the right to restrict the processing of your personal data in certain specific circumstances
- You have the right to have your personal data deleted in certain specific circumstances
- You have the right to object to the processing of your personal data in certain specific circumstances
- You can ask for a copy of your information in a machine-readable format to allow you to obtain and reuse your personal data for your own purposes across different services (the right to data portability)
- You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office, the supervisory authority, about our collection and use of your personal data if you are not satisfied with our response. They can be contact at Information Commissioner’s Office, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire, SK9 5AF, or via www.ico.org.uk
If you have any questions regarding this policy please email [email protected], write to us at Carbon Brief, 40 Bermondsey Street, London SE1 3UD.
The policy is effective as of May 2018. It may be updated in the future. Any changes we may make to this policy will be posted on this page.
Expert analysis directly to your inbox.