Please note: The application process for 2020 is currently on hold due to the coronavirus lockdown.
Carbon Brief is offering an exciting opportunity for a student, or recent graduate, to work at our central London office for two weeks this summer. This journalism internship will be paid the London Living Wage, with an additional travel bursary.
Carbon Brief’s award-winning journalism and analysis is respected by scientists, journalists, policymakers and campaigners around the world. We write articles and create data visualisations, infographics and videos, all to report on and explain the latest climate science and related policy issues.
You’ll spend time shadowing members of staff and helping out with the different tasks carried out by each part of the team. These all centre on climate change, but include policy writing, science writing, multimedia and social media.
If you’re interested in whether Shell’s new climate scenario is as “radical” as it says, or the significance of low sea ice in the Arctic and Antarctic this winter, then this is the placement for you.
What you will do
- Assist with research for articles on climate science and policy
- Help decide how Carbon Brief covers the latest developments in climate science and policy
- Create and discuss content for social media
- Have the opportunity to publish an article for Carbon Brief
What you will learn
- Experience how a small, independent journalism team works in practice
- See how Carbon Brief puts together articles
- Learn how we interrogate news, data and reports
- Pick up skills on how to make best use of multimedia in your journalism
- Interest in or willingness to learn about climate change and energy
- Interest in writing and journalism, including data-driven journalism
- Commitment to the integrity of journalism
- Competency in word processing and spreadsheet packages, such as MS Word/Excel or Google Docs/Sheets
- Excellent spoken and written English
- Experience with social media, such as Twitter and Facebook, would be a benefit
Location: The role is based at our offices near London Bridge in central London.
Reporting to: The director.
Hours/Duration: This is a two-week-long placement which will take place in the summer months, likely the first half of July, although timing may be slightly flexible. You will be expected to be in the office from 9am to 5pm, Monday to Friday, for the two weeks.
Salary: London Living Wage (£10.55/hour), plus £100 towards travel expenses.
How to apply
To apply, please send:
- Your CV.
- A short covering letter of no more than 300 words, explaining why you would be a good fit for the internship and how you would benefit from it. Please include a paragraph explaining how Carbon Brief first caught your attention and pitch one idea for an article you would like to work on.
- A link or attachment for an article or an example of multimedia you have published. This can either be in traditional or student media, or on a personal blog or social media platform.
To: [email protected] (with subject header: Internship application)
Applications must be submitted by 5pm on Monday, 27 May. We will aim to let you know within two weeks whether your application has been successful or not.
Applicants must already have the right to work permanently in the UK. They must be over 18 years of age.
We are committed to the principles of equal opportunity in our employment practices. We will seek to ensure that individuals are recruited, selected, trained and promoted on the basis of their aptitude, skills and abilities.
Expert analysis directly to your inbox.