China is the world’s most populous nation and largest current emitter of greenhouse gases.
How – and, crucially, when – this vast, complex nation fully decarbonises its surging economy is one of the great questions of our age. No matter where you live on the planet, China’s efforts to tackle climate change affect us all.
This is why Carbon Brief is now sending out every Thursday a free weekly email newsletter, which rounds up all the need-to-know information about climate and energy in China from the past seven days.
Sign up to Carbon Brief's free "China Briefing" email newsletter. All you need to know about the latest developments relating to China and climate change. Sent to your inbox every Thursday.
Every day, our China team trawls the media – both inside China and out – looking for the latest developments relating to climate change. This already feeds into our Daily Briefing media digest, but now also helps to shape our weekly China Briefing, too.
The weekly China Briefing email provides the context behind the headlines, something that is essential when trying to assess the true significance of, say, a turn of phrase by a Chinese politician.
And the email also includes the most interesting new studies we find in our daily search of peer-reviewed science journals.
Finally, the China Briefing email highlights some “extra reading” each week – links to articles about China that we’ve enjoyed.
You can find all of the previous issues of the China Briefing below…
- 20 January 2022: ‘Record-high’ coal output; Winter Olympics 2022; Xi’s new directives
- 6 January 2022: New ‘giant’ coal power plant; Hottest year on record; HFC policy
- 23 December 2021: Analysis of Beijing’s new pledge; Interview with senior advisers; Economic planning meeting
- 2 December 2021: Quarterly emissions fall; Power shortages’ impact; China-Russia energy cooperation
- 18 November 2021: Xi-Biden meeting; Methane emissions; ‘Historic new high’ for coal
- 11 November 2021: US-China Glasgow declaration; Calls for ‘concrete actions’; Xi’s absence at COP26
- 28 October 2021: ‘1+N’; Xi’s energy instruction; Climate ‘white paper’
- 21 October 2021: ‘Power woes may worsen’; Xi ‘not expected to join’ COP26; UK-China climate ties
- 14 October 2021: Instructions to tackle power shortages; COP15 opens; Carbon-neutrality standards
- 7 October 2021: ‘All out’ to beat power shortages; 2050 ‘net-zero’ for airlines; ‘Critical decade” for global warming
- 30 September 2021: Widespread power cuts; New orders on ‘dual control’; Emissions peak likely ‘before 2028’
- 23 September 2021: Xi’s ‘no overseas coal’ pledge; More orders on domestic coal; ‘Ball in China’s court’
- 16 September 2021: Xi and Biden discuss climate; Johnson’s ‘last-ditch’ talks with Xi; Advice for China’s carbon goals
- 9 September 2021: Sharma’s Tianjin trip; Steel production ‘could increase’; ‘Most stringent control’ for ‘dual high’
- 2 September 2021: Kerry meeting Xie in Tianjin; Sharma ‘heading to China’; Lockdown’s impact on climate
- 26 August 2021: Closed coal mines reopened; Rapid warming for Tibet; ‘Record low’ carbon prices
- 19 August 2021: Kerry ‘to visit China’ again; Explanation of ‘campaign-style carbon reduction’; Emissions ‘administrators’
- 12 August 2021: Beijing’s response to IPCC report; Climate ‘blue paper’; Coal price rises
- 5 August 2021: New climate instructions; Xie’s latest speech; Flooding death toll surges
- 29 July 2021: Lessons from deadly flooding; Definition of ‘carbon neutrality’; UK-China nuclear tensions
- 15 July 2021: Cross-border coal funders; Megacities’ GHG emissions; ETS to launch ‘tomorrow’
- 8 July 2021: Xi invited to COP26; ‘Largest’ coal-chemical project suspended; New authority for climate roadmap
- 1 July 2021: ETS launch delayed; Massive hydropower station; Coal prices to fall
- 24 June 2021: Hydrogen-fuelled vehicles; ETS launch date; Xinjiang solar ban
- 17 June 2021: Overseas coal projects; Nuclear ‘leak’ report; Sustainable food production
- 10 June 2021: Energy ‘pre-warning’ system; Chinese banks ‘fund’ deforestation; Coal price cap
- 3 June 2021: New climate ‘leaders group’; ‘Record-breaking’ electricity consumption; ‘Artificial sun’
- 27 May 2021: Crypto crackdown; ETS launch nears; Energy-saving data centres
- 20 May 2021: Emissions growth fastest in a decade; Xinjiang plant rejects ‘forced labour’ claims; Regions urged to cut energy use
- 13 May 2021: Greta Thunberg criticised; Former energy official arrested; EV boom makes ‘richest man’
Expert analysis directly to your inbox.