China is the world’s most populous nation and largest current emitter of greenhouse gases.
How – and, crucially, when – this vast, complex nation fully decarbonises its surging economy is one of the great questions of our age. No matter where you live on the planet, China’s efforts to tackle climate change affect us all.
This is why Carbon Brief is now sending out every Thursday a free weekly email newsletter, which rounds up all the need-to-know information about climate and energy in China from the past seven days.
Sign up to Carbon Brief's free "China Briefing" email newsletter. All you need to know about the latest developments relating to China and climate change. Sent to your inbox every Thursday.
Every day, our China team trawls the media – both inside China and out – looking for the latest developments relating to climate change. This already feeds into our Daily Briefing media digest, but now also helps to shape our weekly China Briefing, too.
The weekly China Briefing email provides the context behind the headlines, something that is essential when trying to assess the true significance of, say, a turn of phrase by a Chinese politician.
And the email also includes the most interesting new studies we find in our daily search of peer-reviewed science journals.
Finally, the China Briefing email highlights some “extra reading” each week – links to articles about China that we’ve enjoyed.
You can find all of the previous issues of the China Briefing below…
- 29 July 2021: Lessons from deadly flooding; Definition of ‘carbon neutrality’; UK-China nuclear tensions
- 15 July 2021: Cross-border coal funders; Megacities’ GHG emissions; ETS to launch ‘tomorrow’
- 8 July 2021: Xi invited to COP26; ‘Largest’ coal-chemical project suspended; New authority for climate roadmap
- 1 July 2021: ETS launch delayed; Massive hydropower station; Coal prices to fall
- 24 June 2021: Hydrogen-fuelled vehicles; ETS launch date; Xinjiang solar ban
- 10 June 2021: Energy ‘pre-warning’ system; Chinese banks ‘fund’ deforestation; Coal price cap
- 3 June 2021: New climate ‘leaders group’; ‘Record-breaking’ electricity consumption; ‘Artificial sun’
- 27 May 2021: Crypto crackdown; ETS launch nears; Energy-saving data centres
- 20 May 2021: Emissions growth fastest in a decade; Xinjiang plant rejects ‘forced labour’ claims; Regions urged to cut energy use
- 13 May 2021: Greta Thunberg criticised; Former energy official arrested; EV boom makes ‘richest man’
Expert analysis directly to your inbox.